Reduce Monthly Interest With Debt Consolidation Loans
The headache to pay huge interest rates every month can be quite intimidating. An easy way out of this is opting for debt consolidation. It implies consolidation of all monthly debts into one low single monthly payment. It only works for unsecured debts. To implement this method, you can take out a debt consolidation loan. Read along to know more.
What is debt consolidation loan?
A debt consolidation loan is a single big loan which is taken out to pay off all unsecured debts. The monthly interest you’d have to pay for a single loan will be much lower than the combined monthly interest on all your debts. Moreover, a single loan will be easier to handle than multiple debts.
You can take out a debt consolidation loan from a reputed bank or financial institution in your state. You can apply for a debt consolidation loan after submitting various financial documents. The bank or financial institution will go through the details given in the documents. Thereafter, they’ll decide about the loan amount.
Types of debt consolidation loans
Debt consolidation loans can be secured or unsecured. Given below are various types of secured and unsecured debt consolidation loans:
Home Equity Loans
This is a secured loan which is granted by keeping the equity of your house as security. To become eligible for this loan, you need to have considerable amount of equity in your house. The interest for this type of loan is usually low. However, when you take out this loan, make sure you are confident that you’ll be able to pay it off. If you cannot make payments, you can lose your house in a foreclosure.
To consolidate your debts, you can take out a personal loan. As this is an unsecured loan, you’d not have to keep anything as collateral. You’d have to pay a certain amount of money over a stipulated time period. The interest rate for this loan will be determined by your credit score. A good credit score will increase the chances of getting a low interest rate on your loan.
Pros and cons of debt consolidation loans
Before a debt consolidation loan is taken out, it is important to understand its advantages and disadvantages.
- It can help you to become regular with your payments and thus obtain debt relief by making smaller monthly payments.
- By becoming regular with your payments, you can save money on late fees and unnecessary charges.
- As you’d handle a single loan, it would help you to manage your finances more easily and effectively.
- It is hard to find loans with a fair rate of interest. There is no point of taking out a loan if the interest rate does not vary much with the present monthly payments.
- Big amounts are usually granted by secured loans. It involves the risk of losing your assets if the loan cannot be paid off.
- As you would be taking out a big loan with low monthly interest, it would take a lot of time to pay off the loan. Additionally, the overall interest rate over the entire loan period would be quite high.
Few things you need to do after taking out a loan
Here are the 3 things you need to do after taking out a debt consolidation loan:
Make the payments on the loan every month
Stay away for the new loans
Create a budget and reduce unnecessary expenses
Though debt consolidation loans can help you to fix your monetary issues, they can have certain drawbacks as well. If you’re planning to take out a debt consolidation loan, make sure you conduct adequate research about it before you take it out.